Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Circa Conn. & Q

Situated on the corner of Connecticut and Q Street is a relatively new restaurant-by-night, coffee-by-morning place called CIRCA. I used to be a patron of wrapworks when they lived there, so I thought it was about time I stop looking in the windows and try this new tenant out.

The first time I went to CIRCA, I ordered a glass of the Australian Pinot Noir and the Margarita Pizza. Simplicity is my main ingredient when eating late at night.

Eating for one, I was right in thinking I wouldn't have a hard time getting a table. I walked in and the polite hostess sate me right away. Although I didn't care for the location, right near the end of the bar and kitchen, I did have a plug that I could access to take notes and work on a few things, so I was happy.

Let me begin by saying the atmosphere at CIRCA is very pleasant. Although the space sometimes seems cramped the staff does a very good job of spoiling you while you are a guest at their restaurant. I never had to ask for a refill, as the waiter had a keen eye to know when I was about to ask. It is a delicate balance between drowning a customer in water refills and leaving them in drought conditions while at the table. The staff at CIRCA had it down to an art.

The wine. Ah, the wine. In vino veritas and this is the absolute veritas. This Australian Pinot Noir has to be one of the best I have had. Within seconds of tasting it, I was breathing a better air of relaxation all around me. The anxiety of having to do late night work just went away with one sip. It also packs quite a punch on an empty stomach, so don't be surprised if you are a little tipsy after one glass.

The food. The pizza was so-so. I have certainly had better at 2AMYs or Pizzeria Paradiso.

The atmosphere. This restaurant may have been the better ones for people watching, my alter ego job. Beautiful people all around telling interesting stories that your ear can only carry a few at a time. Sitting there having dinner I felt like I could get up, walk around the room, gather business cards and walk home with a movie idea, a book deal, an art showcase, a campaign secret and even a scandal or two. The place was buzzing. The only thing I had a hard time understanding was the playing of Xmen on the large flat screen television mounted on the back wall. Not sure what that was about, as it just seemed out of place.

Overall assessment. I would have to give CIRCA an A(-). Definitely worth a return visit or two. Definitely a place I recommend to my friends. I have yet to try them early morning for coffee. Maybe they can give me that really definition of barista, you know the one that Starbucks butchers with their terrible customer service. Cappuccinos anyone?

No comments: