Friday, August 24, 2007

What Makes Up the Give and Take?


The other day I went to Zengo, the Japanese for Give and Take restaurant in Gallery Place/Chinatown. I have to say that I really liked the atmosphere, although I am not sure about the loaves of bread that hang from the ceiling and are strewed about the walls, like some sort of art project gone bad. In fact, while having my meal, my eyes kept focusing on what seemed to be stale rolls hung on the wall with nails. I was quite impressed with the service, the food and the overall atmosphere. I do have a few complaints though. Namely, they don't sit you until your entire party is there. This annoys me, because I like to get to places early, and I like to read or do e-mail while I wait for my party to arrive. This was not an option for me at Zengos. The hostess was less than pleasant as well. The waiter was great and their drinks were great. The food seemed to be very small portions, but I was pleasantly surprised at how filling they were. Price was prohibitive, but aren't all the Gallery Place restaurants? I am not sure I would go back on my own dime, but it seems to be a good spot for a company sponsored happy hour or dinner. Overall, I would give it a B plus.

No comments: