Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Famoso's Fame Worthy Pasta

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to be invited to dinner at Famoso located in Friendship Heights. This place describes themselves as...

Famoso Restaurant and Lounge
is pleased to be part of the exclusive Collection at Chevy Chase, which includes Max Mara, Tiffany & Co., Jimmy Choo, Klinger, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Bulgari, Dior, Barneys New York COOP, Cartier, and Ralph Lauren, located on fashionable Wisconsin Avenue, just north of Western Avenue in Chevy Chase.

I have to say, when I first got the OpenTable reservation and checked this place out, I was not looking forward to it. I was a little concerned because it was located in the "Chevy Chase Collection" - i.e. among all those snooty stores. I thought this would be an indicator of the type of service and the feel of the place - a place that would try to hard to act like a high priced NY restaurant.

I was pleasantly surprised. Famoso won me over.


I arrived early at the restaurant, which only serves dinner. I was pleasantly greeted by the hostess and asked if I could sit at the bar. I ordered bottled water and sat there at the bar, reading an article while waiting to meet a co-worker. The bartender was very attentive, but not overbearing. Luckily, I came from work, and I was dressed in a suit. This place is not really for those in jeans or sweats. I think you could get away with khakis and a button down shirt. Needless to say, I felt the part of a young executive at a quality restaurant while at the bar.

I finally met my co-worker and we were seated promptly. The tables were set beautifully, and the tablecloth was in fact white - bleached and starched - classic Italian feel. The waiter read the specials at a nice pace - not too fast and not like he was reading a sonnet.

The menu provided several appetizing options as far as Italian dishes go. Like with any new Italian restaurant, I tried the Penne dish - my true test of the quality of the menu and the chef.

I was very pleased with the quality of the pasta as well as the Insalata Mista that I ordered. I did not order wine, but I was tempted. I was walking home that night, so I could have indulged. Perhaps next time I go I will sample the wine. I look forward to going back to this restaurant.

The only drawback I saw was that on a weeknight, the restaurant was nearly empty. There were only three tables at 7:00pm. Perhaps because this restaurant is on the backside of the Chevy Chase Collection stores it is not visited as much. If that is the case, then I will continue to go back happily, because I love sitting in a restaurant that is not too crowded, where I can hear myself think.

Overall I would have to give this restaurant an "A" rating. I will have to go back to see how they are holding up this summer.

No comments: