Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Che Favuloso Floriana!

Let me begin by quoting a WashingtonPost review..."Because you're dining in a converted town house, you get the feeling (surprise!) that you're actually being served in a friend's home."

I couldn't agree more. On a Tuesday evening, after working late, I decided to take my work to dinner or my dinner to work...depending on how you look at it. I remember hearing about Floriana and I have been meaning to try their pasta dishes.

After walking passed a packed patio full of patrons, I decided to ask for a "table for one" inside the restaurant. The host was very kind and sat me in the window. The lighting was just right...not so dark that you can't see what you are eating, but just enough candle lighting for a special occasion feel. Of course, this evening, it was just me and my laptop. Seems only fitting as I was dining in Laptopia. I guess I had plenty of extra mood lighting, that is if you count the LED of my computer screen.

My waitress was not only attentive and pleasant, but strikingly beautiful. The sincerity with which she served me was so refreshing It reminds you that you can find great restaurants in DC that know how to hire great people to deliver an experience in dining.

I ordered the Gnocchi. I have to give it an A plus! Perfectly cooked and packed full of garlic. Granted I could revive the ancestors of Pompei with my mix of Pinot Noir and Garlic breath, but that is also a true sign of a good chef. Even the Jesuits would have approved of the meal.

To compliment my meal I had a glass of the Pinot Noir. It was a great glass of wine and brought my blood pressure down about 10 clicks. With a few sips, I forgot about my long day at work and was happily listening to the laughter of patrons in the next room.

The atmosphere was extremely pleasant. To add to the perfectly prepared soundtrack, there was a group of friends celebrating a birthday in the next room (Happy Birthday Ed! As they say in Italian - Buon Compleanno a Te!) It felt like we were all in a large dining room of a house, not patrons, but guests. I couldn't have written a better script. And if I tried it would have been right out of the pages of "Big Night." Pasta, wine, laughter, making new friends...all great ingredients for a near perfect dining evening. I look forward to returning to Floriana not only to try there other dishes, but to say hello to the wonderful staff. Cheers Matt! Next time I need to pick your brain about places to eat in Chicago. Oh, and I was told I have to try the downstairs Dedo martini.

Food: A +
Service: A++
Overall: A+

No comments: