Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Andiamo a Vapiano?

My first FORK DC blog entry. After a long day at work...we are talking 11.5 hours, I decided to walk home from Farragut North, near my office. On my way, I walked by this new restaurant experience known as Vapiano Pasta Pizza Bar.


I have to admit, when I walked in and had to receive a briefing before dinner, just on how to order dinner, I was a little turned off. But, hell, I had a long day and the idea of having a steaming bowl of fresh pasta, made right in front of me, was truly appealing.

So, I get the briefing. I am handed a nice little credit card type thing and I am told to go to my station for either pasta, pizza or salad. There, I was to place my order, and simply hand the card over to the chef who would scan it to add to my bill. Simple enough. Well of course, I had to get a glass of wine and a bottle of San
Pellegrino, because I am spoiling myself this evening.

So, here it goes...my first DC restaurant review. I have no idea on the protocol for a proper review, but who cares.

Atmosphere: A (-) minus - nice setup with comfortable metropolitan mix of Asian fusion decor with an art decco twist. The music was WAY TOO LOUD. I am a big fan of the big chalkboard with tips and funny phrases above the food stations. My favorite was the like that said "There is nothing like good food, good wine and a bad girl." My kind of place.

Food: B (+) plus. Well, I have to say I was impressed with the Arrabiatta's kick - since I like my food spicy. However, they were out of Penne noodles, and let's be honest, nothing goes better with arrabbiatta than penne.

Service: A (-) minus. I had a hard time hearing the chef while he talked over the loud music.

Price: I can't grade the price just yet, since I am sitting here writing this blog entry at the restaurant and I have no idea how much my bill totals. I kind of feel like it is that cruise ship set up where you just swipe your card as you go, drinking away your evening - only to be presented with a bill that is more than the entire cost of the voyage on the seas! All kidding aside, I have no idea what the damage will be when I leave here. I know I cringed when I saw that the San Pellegrino was $2.25 for an eight ounce bottle. Sacco di soldi!

Update: My bill was $25.00 - for pasta, a glass of wine and a bottle of San Pellegrino.

Chances I will talk about this place with my friends at work tomorrow: HIGH - overall, I really like the idea/concept and the staff was very nice. The bartender carded me, so I tipped her an extra few bucks. You gotta love feeling young in the city!

Final Thoughts: I think this could be a really fun place to bring a group of friends, split some salads, pizze (yes I spelled it with an 'e' - that is the proper Italian plural for pizza) and pasta...oh and get drunk. On all sides of me, there are beautiful ladies getting plastered. I think I just heard a shriek on my left.

No comments: